Thursday, April 12, 2012

I BELIEVE

Big day, people! 

BIG DAY!!!!!

My beloved Ottawa Senators are starting Round 1 of their playoff series against the New York Rangers tonight at Madison Square Garden.

My Sens.  The same team that missed the playoffs last Spring, and was supposed to be in the midst of a subsequent “re-building year”.  The same team that the so-called experts said would not make the playoffs this season, and maybe not for a few more after that.  The same team that was supposed to finish near the bottom of the NHL standings.

We’re in the playoffs.

(And I’m going to be there Monday night!  squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!)

I know I haven’t blogged much about the Sens this year, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been watching them.  I have.  And I can honestly say that I haven’t been this excited about the team since Wade Redden last donned the Red, Black & Gold.

(Really, any excuse to post a picture of Wade…)

They’re a young, fiery squad, under the seasoned and classy leadership of guys like Chris Phillips, Jason Spezza, and of course, our hail & hearty captain, Daniel Alfredsson. 

Also, I love our new coach.  Paul MacLean is the first guy who seems to have had any control and positive influence over this team since Bryan Murray himself led them to the Stanley Cup finals in ‘07.

This year, they have truly, collectively, embodied the word “team”.  I’ve been proud of them.  I’ve been energized by them.  I’ve been hoping against hope that this day would finally come.

And it’s here. 

The playoffs. 

We’re in. 

As poor as the odds are as the eighth and final seed in the East, going up against the cream-of-the-crop New York Rangers, I believe in them.  I really think they have a shot at getting past them, and going into the next round.  We’ve had success against the Rangers this season.  Now we just need to beat them 4 more times…

In the past few days, my newsfeed on Facebook has been increasingly filled with posts from other pumped of fans, gearing up for this day.  I thought I’d share with you my favourite post, the one that makes me crack a smile every time I see it, and truly makes me think, “Hey…we really do have a chance, here.”

Plus, I just think Erik Karlsson is priceless.

I BELIEVE.  I really do.

GO SENS GO!!!!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! Exciting!! I'm going to the Wednesday game!

GO SENS GO!!

PKB said...

Go Sens! Willow will be cheering them on, she just loves watching hockey, especially the Senators!

Ricki Treleaven said...

I hope they won...I have not heard anything on the news yet, but not many folks down here follow hockey (in Alabama)...

xo,
RJ

Nicole said...

Hahaha I'm behind so I'm reading in reverse order. That sucks they didn't win. That mean it's over for them?