Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Dress Shopping Gods did not smile upon me. But that’s OK.

Yesterday, I pleaded with the Shopping Gods to help me find a dress, quickly & painlessly, for Lynn & Steve’s wedding on Saturday.

They did not listen.

However… The RICKI’S Gods were smiling on me.  Thank jeebus.

rickis

For those of you who know me, you know I’m not the best shopper in the world.  I prefer to do as much on-line as possible, which means that most of my clothing purchases of late have been made on the Sears or Old Navy websites.

Last night, with an $80 Rewards Card from Sears burning a hole in my pocket (and set to expire in a week’s time, eeek!), I headed to Carlingwood with my mother, determined to use it on a new dress for the wedding.  It was my first time actually going to a mall in God knows how long.

A quick perusal of the dress section at Sears left me feeling a little dismayed.  I found only one – ONE – that I was willing to try on.  And though it was a lovely dress, it was wayyy too big on me, and hence looked like a tent.  Epic fail.  The rest were all too small.  Awesome.

The joys of being big & lumpy.  *sigh*

So I left Sears, feeling a little discouraged, but with my sights now set on Ricki’s.

I hadn’t been in a Ricki’s in a million years, but I remembered having good luck with their clothes in the long-ago past.  I wasn’t sure if they had any dresses, but I wanted to give it a shot.

The dress selection wasn’t the best – a few summer choices on the sale rack, and one fall dress that wasn’t my style at all.  But then – then I got a brainwave.

“What if I wore pants and a really nice top?”

BAM!  The sales girl had a whole new project, and before I knew it, my dressing room was loaded with pants and tops that I absolutely loved.  Honestly, I had a hard time choosing the winning combination, because I liked so many of the options!

Once I finally settled on an outfit, my mom happened upon the jewelry section of the store, and the next thing you know,  she had picked out a necklace, bracelet, and earrings that matched perfectly.  And THEN I found a perfect shade of nail polish at the cash.  SCORE!

I asked time and time again – are you guys suuuure that I’ll look fancy enough for a wedding wearing pants?  And I was assured time and time again, that it was indeed dressy enough. Also, I’ll be a million times more comfortable – because I really, really hate dresses.

Now, here’s the problem… While in Ricki’s, I discovered about a hundred other things I wanted to try on.  Crap.  This is why I don’t go shopping.  Once I get going, I can’t seem to stop myself.  I want everything.  And my fall/winter wardrobe so needs an overhauling…

Holy crap, I just realized I can order on-line.

I’m in big trouble…

Oh…and for those of you wondering what ever came of that Sears Rewards Card that would expire in a week’s time?  Well, have no fear.  I have a nephew with a birthday coming up, and a niece with a baptism coming up, so we eventually went back to Sears and I put that card to very good use!

All in all?  A successful night at the mall.

Can’t wait to put on my new duds for the wedding on Saturday! :)

10 comments:

THECAROLINACOUNTRYGIRL said...

I have this same problem! That's why I shop online too! I just can't get enough.

Connie said...

I was JUST looking at pants at Old Navy online. I have ridiculously long legs and can't just walk into a place and buy pants. :(

SO excited that you found some cute things for fall!

Nicole said...

So glad you found something! I wore pants to a wedding one time. It's all good :). And I've never heard of Ricki's... very cool!

VandyJ said...

Love finding those shops that have clothes that seem to made just for you. Even better if they are reasonably priced.

Kara said...

You bought Caden a bike - right????
lol....

Stacie said...

What? No show with the tell? You will post a pic for us after you debut the ensemble at the wedding, yes?

Caroline said...

Would love to see a picture of your fab outfit on you! Shopping success is so much fun!

Nancy said...

I found my dress for Lindsay's wedding at Cleo's, Ricki's sister store. My daughter in law Tori works at Ricki's and has the cutest outfits!Can't wait to see the outfit, looking forward to your pictures.

Your mom is one of the best put together people ever. I am not surprised she had you accessoriezed perfectly, she has an eye for that.
Have fun!

Jillian said...

I love Ricki's they always have the cutest stuff though last time I went their pants didn't fit me I also really like reitman's (their pants DO fit me) and bootlegger (I manage to find awesome stuff there). Glad to hear you made out well I sometimes go shopping for something specific and come up with nothing

Anonymous said...

I hope you're going to post pics! :)