Monday, June 03, 2013

One More Step…

Happy Monday, friends!

The 50 Post…it’s coming.  I swear.  Just not today.  There is no damn time today to write all the words that are burling around in my brain regarding my recent achievements, and my next goals.  Maybe tomorrow. *sigh*

I just wanted to give a quick shout-out to our MINISTER (no longer a student!!!)… the newly-minted Reverend Nancy Best!!! 

Nancy ordination 4

It was a great pleasure to travel with members of our congregation on Saturday to John Abbott College in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec (near Montreal).  It was there, at the Montreal-Ottawa Conference weekend, that Nancy became an officially ordained minister of the United Church of Canada.

Of course, to our little charge in rural Quebec, Nancy was already “our minister” – whether she was ordained or not!  She came to us five years ago, as we took on our very first experience as a “learning site” for a student minister.  And, as Nancy has said on many occasions, it seemed we were a match made in heaven!!

The past five years have been filled with so many ups & downs – both for Nancy and many of the members of our church, including my own family - but I believe our congregation has come to look to her for her calming presence, her gentle voice, her dear smile, and her reassuring words.  Nancy has served communion, baptized little ones, helped marry young couples, and grieved with families over lost loved ones.  She has grown and flourished, and we’ve had the distinct pleasure of watching her do so.  She has, for all intents and purposes, been our minister… and so it was a huge thrill to be there on Saturday evening for the joy- and emotion-filled service that saw her officially being ordained by the United Church of Canada.

Nancy ordination 1

Nancy, we are so blessed to have you in our little town, and in our lives!  I was so happy to be there to share in your celebration, to sing those “Hallelujuahs” in your honour, and to stand with a big grin on my face and sing “One More Step Along the World I Go”, while you absolutely beamed on stage.  It was an experience that I will treasure, and I know how much it meant to you to finally be there!!!

Nancy ordination 3 

I said it on Saturday when I saw you,  but I’ll say it again here…

CONGRATULATIONS NANCY!!  We are all so proud of you :)

Photos stolen from Nancy’s Facebook page… mine aren’t uploaded yet…

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Jillian,
I did not cry at my Ordination....but I am now. Your words have touched my heart so much, bless you, I am copying them to my Spiritual journal. I am so incredibly blessed to be staying in Quyon. We have come a long way as a congregation, and have so much more ministry to share together.
Whoo Hoo!
Reverend Nancy, ha, ha!

Anne said...

Hi Jill, I'm a friend (and former classmate) of Nancy's. Just wanted to say what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman. Nancy has touched my heart with her gentle presence and through her deep and expansive spirituality. I am not surprised that the congregation of Quyon want to keep her around!

Thanks for this, it made my day!
blessings, Anne