Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Things I’ve pinned lately.

Ah, Wednesday.  That means we’re at the half-way point!  Phewf!

It’s my first week back to work full-time, so that means the week is crawling by a little on the extra-slow side… It’s an adjustment, to say the least.  But I’m happy to be back at my desk five days a week.  Really, I am.  It means we’re getting that much closer to spring-like weather!!

So I thought today, I’d share some of the things I’ve been pinning lately.  (My Pinterest is here.)  A smattering of stuff.  Things I’d like to try.  Recipes that sound yummy.  Words that hit home.

Without further ado…

spring salad

(source)

Doesn’t this Spring Carrot, Radish & Quinoa Salad with Herbed Avocado look divine?  After a winter full of making hearty, warming soups, chilis, and pasta sauces, I feel like my taste buds are finally starting to crave the “freshness” of spring & summer.  This recipe sure did catch my eye yesterday, and I look forward to trying it out soon!

Easter egg cookies

(source)

I’m not sure why – perhaps the no sugar thing again – but I have such an urge to make Easter treats this year, rather than just buying the candy.  Hence, I feel like I’ve pinned every Easter-related cookie/fudge/cupcake idea in the world.  I’m planning to have my niece and nephew for a sleepover on Good Friday, and I thought it would be fun for us to make some Easter treats that day/night.  Of course, I wouldn’t be able to taste them until Easter Sunday, but I think Caden & Danica would be willing to sample them for me! ;)

crustless quiche

(source)

Another thing I’ve been craving lately is quiche.  I pinned this recipe for Crustless Asparagus Quiche the other day, mainly because of the asparagus.  I luuuurve asparagus.  Also, I’ve never attempted a crustless quiche, and I’m interested to see how it will turn out.  On my list of upcoming kitchen projects!

words

(source)

I saw this on my Pinterest home feed this morning, and it was a nice reminder.  It seems lately I’ve been joking about how “old” I am, and how life has changed now that I’m getting so “old” – oddly, I still feel like a kid at heart (sometimes I don’t even feel anything like a grown-up), so I don’t know why I keep going back to this “I’m too old” crap.  Time to live life and forget the age.

SONY DSC

(source)

I’ve been intrigued by all the Cauliflower Crust Pizza rage lately.  I have yet to try it myself, but I admit to being skeptical.  This particular recipe post is the one I’d like to try the most, as a common theme in the reviews of most is that it’s delicious, but you can’t pick it up with your hands like you would regular pizza – this one claims to have the “secret tip” that allows you to pick it up with your hands to eat it.  And really, what's pizza if you can't pick it up to eat it??

(source)

Of course, we all know of my current Jimmy Fallon adoration.  So yeah. Sometimes, I pin Jimmy.  This is one of my recent faves.  Blurred Lines was my summer of 2013 jam, and it still holds a special place in my heart.  Especially when Mr. Thicke is joined by Jimmy & The Roots playing it on classroom instruments!

scones

(source)

The day before no-sugar Lent began, I suddenly had this incredible urge to become a world-famous maker of scones.  I pinned about 40 different recipes to try - from sweet to savoury.  I still want to try my hand at them once Lent is over, but the predicament is this:  What to do with them all after I make them?  I'd permit myself one or two, but I can't keep oodles of baked goods in my home or I'll eat them all myself.  I'd need to give the rest away.  Hopefully I can find some takers. ;)

irish nachos

(source)

I pinned these Sweet Potato Irish Nachos leading up to St. Paddy's Day, and this is the only pin I've actually made lately.  But I did make them on March 17th... and twice since.  These are so seriously yummy.  My new favourite "junk food".  I probably put too much cheese on them, but one sweet potato loaded up with peppers, olives, onions, tomatoes, black beans, and served with salsa & a dollop of non fat plain Greek Yogurt... mmmmm.  Makes for one healthy - and filling - treat!  SO GOOD.

clean eating swaps

I pinned a lot of info and recipes leading up to the 7-Day Clean Eating Challenge.  And this was one of them.  Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to realize I've mostly already made most of these swaps in my diet - with the exception of the chocolate chips for cocoa nibs.  I'd definitely be willing to try them, though!  Just not sure they are something I can buy at a local grocery store.

food ecard

(source)

I saw this e-card and burst out laughing.  It is so true for me.  Even when I'm healthy eating, I'm always thinking about my next meal.  I seriously do plan my entire day around food.  It's what gets me through!

hummingbird cake

(source)

Remember yesterday, when I went on and on about my dream dessert for Easter dinner?  I've changed my mind.  Again.  I want this Hummingbird CakeDoesn't just the name of it sound divine??  From what I read, it's a delicious cross between banana cake and carrot cake.  It looks heavenly.  I may even offer to make this myself for Easter if I can't convince my mom to make it for me... lol!

OK...I could go on and on, but I think that's enough for one day, don't you?  What have you been pinning lately?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

My Mother in law says you have to grow old but you never have to grow up :). I'm like you though, I don't feel like an adult even though I lead a rather adultish life. Now I want cookies, Thanks Jill... lol :)

Stacie said...

I've subbed the applesauce and yogurt with really good results. And that forgetting to eat thing, can there really be people who do that?

VandyJ said...

We have to be extremely busy to forget to eat--and that's mostly Nick hen he gets going on a project--I'm the one who reminds him and makes him eat.
I have a Pinterest profile, but rarely do I pin things and have yet to find the allure of the whole Pinterest thing.

Nancy said...

I bet a few people at Mountainview would help out with the scones, or being them to church, ha,ha. I tried cauliflower roasties and didn't really like them at all. Grated cauliflower doesn't do it for me. I did make a clean veggie soup for lunch. I actually eat pretty clean, but having lunch with you at the soup and sandwich got me thinking. I have switched to only making crustless quiche, leftover ham and cauliflower is my favourite.

The Lovely One said...

Good pins! I love Jimmy... I love blueberry scones.... and I also scratch my head over people who forget to eat!