Thursday, November 13, 2014

Target Back in Sight

This morning was a good morning for me.  When I stepped on the scale, I was back within sight of “The Magic Number”.  And by “back within sight”, I mean less than 10 lbs. away from it.

Here’s a thing you should know about me:  I violate one of the biggest weight loss rules there is each day, and that is that I get on the scale almost every single morning.  Not supposed to do that.  Once a week max, the experts warn.  Measurements are more important than the number on the scale anyways, they say.  That number can fluctuate daily, and it’s not worth it to get depressed over it when it goes up and down like a yo-yo.

And yet, I get on it every morning.  I don’t log my weight daily – that I only do once a week - but I just need to know.  It’s kind of a weird little obsession I have.  I take it as my warning for the day:  “OK, here’s your number.  Now you need to try to make sure it doesn’t go higher tomorrow.  This is your mission, if you choose to accept it.”

In recent months, I hadn’t been accepting the mission.  I’d been watching that number steadily climb, growling over it, and feeling very much in denial about it.

But that number, when it reached a certain spot, was my indicator that it was time to get smart about this again.  I thank God it finally smacked me upside the head.

So for the past week and a half, it has been bringing me great relief to see it on the decline.  As my diet became cleaner, as my choices became healthier, and as my portions became more reasonable, combined with a regular exercise routine, the number started to go down. And I find myself breathing a sigh of relief each morning, as each pound lost is one more little step in the right direction.

Last week, as I previously reported, I lost 5 lbs.  This week, the ounces have continued to be shed (albeit at a slower rate, as I expected) – and it was so nice this morning to finally see that I’m back within grasp.

I’ve always considered losing 10 lbs. a very doable task.  Even at my heaviest, I knew that with some effort, I could lose 10 lbs. fairly easily.  And along this journey, I’ve always set little 10 lbs. goals for myself because it’s more encouraging to look at the small picture than the big picture. 

My goal weight – the weight that I’m most comfortable at, the weight I’ve always targeted, “The Magic Number” – is back within reach.  It’s less than 10 lbs. away.  If I dig deep, work hard to avoid temptation, and stick to the plan, I just might get there before Christmas.

Easy?  Hell no.  Especially not this time of year, with all of the parties and potlucks and goodies of the holiday season lying in wait.  And I know just how easy it is to let myself be led astray.  It can happen in the blink of an eye.

But right now, I really feel like I’ve got my mojo back.  I feel strong.  I feel focused.  I feel like I’m back in control of this thing.

That in itself just might be the biggest victory of all.

Magic Number, here we come.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Well done, Jillian. Keep up the great choices.

meeganjae said...

yay Jill