Thursday, December 11, 2014

Currently… in December 2014

I’ve been wanting to do one of these “Currently” posts for a while now, as it’s been a long time since I did one.  I thought it would be fun to capture me as I’m right now in the hub-bub of the Christmas season.

Reading: The Silver Star by Jeanette Walls.  I’m loving this book, but it’s taking me way too long to read it.  It’s one that I should be flying through, and if I had TIME, I would be.  But lately the only time I have to read is right before bed, and usually I’m head-bobbing after a chapter or two.  And they are short chapters.

silver star

Watching: Christmas movies & specials (Little Women, Four Christmases, The Santa Clause, The Family Stone so far…), The Voice, and Survivor.  Oh, and Jimmy Fallon, of course! 

jimmy fallon tonight show

Writing: Not much, other than this blog – which has been sporadic lately, to say the least – and my social notes for the Equity each week.  The day of the Christmas House Tour, I sat down to write a little Christmassy story to leave on screen on my laptop, and it made me long for the days when I’d brew a plot in my head, sit down, and just start writing.  I haven’t done that in so long…

Listening: Christmas music, of course.  Majic 100 mostly in the car, because they’re the wall-to-wall Christmas station here.  Elvis’s Christmas Duet’s CD and Justin Bieber’s Christmas album mostly at home.  Oh, and I’m loving the new T.Swift anytime I catch any of her songs when I’m radio-channel-surfing.  Say what you want, but the girl’s got some catchy new tunes!!

taylor swift

Eating: Oh, Healthy November is long over, my friends.  I’m trying to behave, but Christmas potlucks and December birthday parties and a freezer full of Christmas baking are really dragging me down.  I just can’t resist.  I’m TRYING.  But I’m likely gonna have my work cut out for me in January at this rate.  PS – My favourite holiday treat this year so far is Toffifee.  I bought myself a box.  They are so yum.

toffifee

Drinking: Water, coffee, and tea are my drinks of choice these days.  But mostly water.  It’s always me and the water.  And the peeing.

Wearing: my MVT uniform – black pants, green or black MVT golf shirt, green or black MVT fleece zip-up.  Oh, and long johns.  God love my long johns.

Working on: crossing things off the December to-do list.  The baking is done, the shopping is done, the Christmas cards are done.  Now I have to start working on the wrapping and watching more movies & specials!

Waiting for: CHRISTMAS!!!!  Duh.  It’s my favourite time of the year, hands down.  And in my “old age”, I’ve learned that this waiting part is the best part of all.  I’m trying to soak it all up and make it last as long as possible.  If December could just slow down a touch, that would be fab.

Loving: the SNOW!!!  It snowed last night. :)  Well, it kinda snowed all day yesterday, but the accumulation didn’t happen until evening and overnight.  I love waking up to a Winter Wonderland.  Makes my heart so happy.

ottawa-s-first-big-snow

Needing: More money. ha!  Who doesn’t, right?  But I somehow let my Christmas expenditures get away on me a little bit this year.  The credit card has gone under lockdown until further notice.

Thinking: a lot.  My mind is pinging around like crazy these days.  One minute, I can be reminiscing about past Christmases, the next I’m frantically trying to draft a grocery list in my brain.  This Christmas season is going to be the start of new traditions for our family, so I’ve been thinking a lot about that – about how I want it still to be fun and memorable, even though it’s not going to be the same.

Feeling: Everything.  The feels are hitting me big-time these days.  Tis the season.  I’m a walking bundle of happy-nostalgic-anxious-excitement-contentedness.  The good thing is that I had a big bawl-fest Saturday evening watching The Family Stone, and I feel like I got all the Christmas blues out with that.  Because, let’s face it, sometimes even the biggest lovers of Christmas (aka ME) get the blues.  I felt like the big cry was needed.

Hoping: That everything is… OK.  Y’know?  I mentioned new traditions, and while I know everything will turn out just fine in the coming weeks, there’s that bit of me that’s in a constant state of worry.  I’m hoping for a good Christmas with my family and friends.  I’m hoping everything turns out just right.  And I’m hoping everyone stays healthy.  (I always worry about me or one of my loved ones getting sick at Christmas.)

Dreaming: of food.  I love food.  And this time of year is the best time of year for a food addict like me.  Well, the worst time, really, but… the best time.  I spend ridiculous amounts of time envisioning pot luck spreads and thinking about snacks to make on Christmas Eve (cheese ball?  bacon wrapped waterchestnuts?  spinach dip?) and wondering if we’re going to have my favourite Wife Beater casserole along with the famous sticky buns on Christmas morning and hoping I get some Lindor chocolates and thinking about buying more Toffifees and honey roasted peanuts in case I run out and the plate of Mom’s cookies and squares and ohmygosh the TURKEY!!!!!!  There’s going to be a stuffing and mashed potatoes and meat pies and gravy and cranberries and YUMMMMMMM!!!!

Christmas-Dinner-dp

Welcome to a sad moment inside my brain.  I barely grazed the surface.

Being Inspired By: other bloggers.  I love reading other’s blog posts all the time, but this time of year, I’m drawing inspiration for new goodies to try out, and different gifts ideas to buy or make.  I’m finding inspiration for these new traditions that we are going to be starting.  I’m inspired by their festive posts and they are stirring even more the magical holiday feelings inside me.  This time of year… it’s inspiring in general, and it’s ever-present in the blogging community. :)

What are you up to currently?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I always need a big cry this time of year. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by trying to get it all done and make sure everyone is happy. I can't wait to hear about the new traditions, and why you are changing from the old ones.