Wednesday, July 08, 2015

What I’ve been up to…

Well, hello there!

It’s been a while, eh?  I never intended to go on a bloggy break.  Didn’t plan on taking a hiatus.  But the past couple of months have been… busy.  I’ve tried to stay as organized and in control as possible, because when I’m organized and in control, I’m a more calm and sane person.  I’ve stayed on top of work, social activities, responsibilities, family time, friend time, keeping house & cutting grass, quiet time… the one thing that fell by the wayside, though, was writing. 

I let the blog slip.  And trust me when I say, I have missed it.  Writing is therapy to me, even when it’s about silly & mundane things, and I think it’s high time to finally get back to it.

Not that you’ve really missed all that much by me taking an extended break from blogging.  My life is rolling along, same-ol same-ol.  Nothing big or earth-shattering to share, and perhaps that’s why I let it go so easily.

But here are some of the things I’ve been up to.

Working.  It’s been a busy season thus far here at the turf farm.  In fact, maybe the busiest I’ve ever remembered it (at my desk, anyways).  That’s a good thing, because the days fly by quickly and it keeps me on my toes!

Enjoying the summer & all of its fun activities.  Summer is here, and I have to say, thus far, it’s been kind of perfect.  I shake my head at that girl back on May 8th who said she was kind of sad to let the winter hibernation days go.  The weather has been beautiful, and even though the summer is still young, it’s already been so jam-packed with fun.  I honestly don’t know if I’ll remember how to hibernate once winter rolls around again!

Planning & celebrating wedding activities with friends.  Two of my close friends are getting married – Sarah in August, and Sue in September.  I am Sarah’s maid of honour, so the past few months have been filled with planning & executing:  mixed party, shower, and bachelorette.  I had lists coming out the ying-yang.  Each event went off without a hitch, and we all had a blast!  Festivities for Sue are getting ready to commence now, with their mixed party coming up next weekend.  I also attended my cousin Kayla’s wedding at the end of May, and it was such an awesome day… it reminded me of how much I LOVE weddings!  I’m so excited for Sarah & Sue’s big days to get here :)

Sarah's bachelorette Pic from Sarah’s bachelorette on Saturday, courtesy of Stacy

Fundraising & celebrating Canada Day. The last time I posted, we hadn’t even had our Canada Day Committee Golf Tournament yet… It was held May 23, and then we spent the month of June gearing up for our little town’s big festivities.  We celebrated a day early, on June 30th, with a community BBQ, parade, flag raising ceremony, entertainment for the kids, fireworks, and partying to awesome music all night long in the hall.  Everyone knows Canada Day is one of my favourite days of the year, and this year did not disappoing!  I decided that this would be my last year on the Canada Day Committee, as I’ve been with them for over 10 years now and I have to say my last one on the Committee was awesome.

Canada Day 2015 2

Canada Day 2015 3

Canada Day Committee 2015

Hanging out & enjoying time with family.  I love family time, and I’ve been making time for that as often as possible.  My little nephew Noah is growing fast – already 3 months old, and such a cute little lug!  We’ve had some wonderful family gatherings over the past few months, both immediate and extended, and I cherish those days.  Any time spent with Caden, Danica, Neve & Noah is valuable and I treasure it!

Kids 2 June 7 2015

Jill and Noah June 2015

Eating too much.  Yes.  It’s true.  I’ve been SO off track with the healthy eating thing that it’s not even funny.  Eating junk, and lots of it.  *sigh*  If there was ever motivation to be careful, you would think it would be two bridesmaids dresses… I’m unhappy with what I see in the mirror, cringing every time I realize something no longer fits, and dreading trying on those dresses that fit a few short months ago.  The good news is, I still have time to get this under control before the weddings.   I got rid of all the junk in my house the first of the week, and I’m going to my damndest to myself back on track now!

Reading.  I set a goal to read 20 books in 2015.  I set the same goal last year, and failed miserably (I got to only 14).  I’m determined to do it this year, and I’ve been flying through some good ones lately – I finished Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock last week (easily one of the most traumatizing books I’ve ever read, with a twist ending that shocked me), and now I can’t put down The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty.  Seriously, this book is like crack.  Been a long time since I’ve enjoyed two books back-to-back like this!

Watching Seinfeld.  And Big Brother.  I’ve always declared myself a Friends fan, which meant that I believed I could not be a Seinfeld fan.  I thought you had to pick one or the other.  No room in the heart for both of them.  But I decided a year ago that I needed to give Seinfeld a shot, if for no other reason than to understand the Seinfeld references people throw around all the time.  I borrowed all the seasons from my brother-in-law, and ploughed through the first few seasons slowly… but now that I’m into Season 6, I’m finally on-board.  I have to watch a couple of episodes every evening now.  That is, when I’m not catching up on PVR’d episodes of Big Brother… Summer wouldn’t be complete without Big Brother!

Big-Brother-17-Cast

Cutting an old bad habit of mine.  I’ve mentioned here before that one of my worst and most annoying habits is picking my lips.  I don’t know when exactly I started doing it, but I imagine probably around the time I quit sucking my thumb (age 7).  I’ve been a lip-picker for years, and when in stressful situations, I could damn near peel my bottom lip right off my face.  I saw a picture of myself recently where I could be seen in the background picking my lip.  I think it was the first time I’d ever actually seen what I look like when I’m doing it, and I wasn’t impressed.  Yuck. So for the past few weeks, I’ve been making a conscious effort to stop.  The first few days were tough.  I’d catch myself going for the lip.  It was just like an automatic reflex.  I’d tell myself to stop. Sit on my hands if I have to.  I’ve been slathering on lip balm all the time so that they don’t get dry and easily-pickable… and so far, it seems to be working.  Knock on wood, I may have kicked this habit to the curb once & for all!

June 7 2015 3 I hate the pic, but it opened my eyes to how awful the lip-picking looks!

Wishing for a camera.  My digital camera died a few months ago, the camera on my phone sucks, and I’m missing out on so many fun occasions and not being able to photograph them.  Luckily, my sister-in-law is an amazing photographer, so I’m glad she’s around to capture moments for me!  I’ve asked for a new one for my birthday, so fingers crossed!

Oh there’s more… but as you can tell, I haven’t lost my long-winded rambley-ness…

Hopefully I’ll be back again. Hopefully not 2 months from now, either. ;)

This one was for you, Mom!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you come back, if even just for a recap. I can understand taking a break; I'm not even sure how I managed to blog this week because I have been super busy. Hopefully you can get back into a writing groove soon!

Stacie said...

Lots of fun packed in there, the blog can wait!