Thursday, August 13, 2015

Thinking WAY ahead…

I’ve been trying to keep a lid on my “I’m SO excited for FALL” enthusiasm of late, but it’s hard.  There’s still lots of summer left to live – Sarah’s wedding, family visits, BBQ’s, bonfires, bachelorette fun -  and I’m all for making awesome summer memories in the days and weeks ahead.  Still, I am finding it increasingly difficult to rein in my thoughts that continually drift…

…to pumpkin spice everything….to sweaters and scarves and boots…to Thanksgiving dinner…to pots of soup & chili…to crisp walks with leaves crunching beneath my feet…to Car Rally…to Caden’s birthday…

And, inevitably, to Scary Movie Marathon.

It’s true.  Scary Movie Marathon has become a massive highlight on my calendar; a tradition that my friend Lindsay and I started that I spend all year “preparing” for.

I’m not even joking.  I’ve already bought 2 movies this year that are sitting in their wrappers on the shelf in my living room, just waiting to be opened on Scary Movie Marathon Day.  (whenever that might be… I haven’t planned THAT far ahead yet. haha!)

I’ve been thinking about what movies I’d like to watch, what snacks I’d like to eat, what weekend it could possibly all go down… essentially, I’ve already given WAY too much thought to a silly little ol’ movie marathon.

Part of the fun for me is picking out movies I’ve already seen and liked from back in my “scary movie lovin’ days” that Lindsay has never seen.  I like sitting back, knowing what’s going to happen, and watching her reactions. LOL

Here are the movies I’ve been thinking of and collecting for this year’s Scary Movie Marathon:

Jaws

jaws

This is actually one I have never seen, believe it or not!  When I google “the best scary movies of all time”, Jaws seems to appear in the Top 5 of almost every list.  Often it’s ranked #1.  It has had people scared to dip their toes in the ocean for decades, and spawned a universal fear of sharks which the experts say is unwarranted (but after watching video of that surfer getting attacked by one on at a competition a few weeks ago, I’m not so sure about that!)  The best part about Jaws is that my brother-in-law has already told me we probably won’t find it that scary, since the effects and all are so dated now.  And we all know that I don’t really even like scary movies, so if I’m still able to sleep – and swim – after watching it, I’ll be a happy camper.

The Silence of the Lambs

the silence of the lambs

Nothin’ creepier than infamous cannibal Hannibal Lecter, am I right?!  Yes, I’ve seen this one before.  More than once.  But it’s been a long time, and there’s a lot I have forgotten about this movie.  So I’m hoping it makes the cut for the Scary Movie Marathon final list.

Pet Sematary

pet sematary

This is one that I don’t actually own – yet – but I’m hoping to procure it in the next few months so that I’ll have it to watch in the weeks leading up to Halloween.  I read this Stephen King classic in high school, and then recorded the movie on VHS, and I remember loving it.  Another one that I haven’t seen in years, but I’m looking forward to revisiting it.  I always thought the premise for the story was clever and unique – sometimes dead is better – and the horror it can derive is down-right spine-tingling.

Urban Legend

urban legend 1

This one is a throw-back to my high school days.  It’s not as old as the others, but kind of crazy to think that it’s already almost 20 years since it came out!  I remember watching it with my friends at a sleepover at my friend Hollie’s (my friend Erin ended up very mad at us that night, as I recall! LOL) – it was always one of my favourites of the teen slasher flicks that were so popular when I was a teen.  I’m sure that had nothing to do with a young, dreamy, blue-eyed Jared Leto… not at all…

Okay.  So… now I’m going to sit back and wait for Lindsay to shout across the office. “JILLIAN.  IT IS AUGUST.  YOU ARE CRAZY.  AND NO I AM NOT WATCHING ANY OF THOSE MOVIES!!!!”

She’s such a wuss. ;)

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am so glad The Shining is not on our list of movies to watch this year!! I am such a Wuss...What ever happened to Mickey Mouse Halloween?? That would be WAY more up my alley! ha ha!

ShannonJMc27 said...

Out of all those movies listed, I've only seen Urban Legend and to this day, I'm ALWAYS checking my back seat at night to make sure no one is back there. AND I don't flash my lights at anyone haha!!

Anonymous said...

UGH, scary movies. Out of your list, the only one I will watch is Jaws. It no longer scares me but I remember how I felt when I watched it as a kid. And I too am thinking about Fall a lot. I don't want to rush it but I can't help it.

Terra Heck said...

As much as I've enjoyed summer, I'm ready for autumn. It's my favorite season.
I love scary movies. They're my fave. I like the idea of a Scary Movie Marathon.

Nancy said...

I'm with Lindsay in this, Jillian, no scary movies for me!

Nicole said...

So I might yell at you from Missouri about no fall yet... but... I have 2 sweat shirts that are new that are calling my name to be worn. Otherwise, let's keep fall as far away as possible because I have to take Comps this fall and I"m scared.