Friday, September 23, 2016

My Friday Jams

Well, it feels like I've (sadly) finally turned a corner, and broken out of my Tragically-Hip-only playlist.  I've been listening to The Hip pretty much exclusively since I found out I was going to the concert in early August.  Almost two straight months of ONLY The Hip.  For a while there, I didn't think I'd ever tire of listening to them and only them for the rest of my life.

But it was bound to happen eventually.  I love music too much to listen to just one band for the rest of my life!  I had to snap out of my Hip kick sooner or later.

So the past few weeks, I've been doing some discovering and downloading.  I thought I'd share some of my current favourite jams:


"Sing" by Travis

I got this one from watching The Office - this was the song Jim let Pam listen to back when they were still just flirting with each other (ah, the good old days!  I loved the early Jim & Pam days!).  Later in the series, it was used during a montage of all the best Jim & Pam moments during their wedding episode.  It brings me fond Jim & Pam memories. ;)

"Cold Water" by Major Lazer ft. Justin Bieber and Mo

You guys know I can't resist me some Biebs.  They often play this on the radio when I'm getting ready for work in the morning, and I just have to pause the hair or make-up or whatever and have a little dance party.

"What Blue" by The Tragically Hip

OK, so I'm not totally over The Hip just yet!!  I've really loved their most recent album Man Machine Poem, and I've listened to it a lot over the past few months.  This one is my current fave out of their new stuff.

"Sit Still, Look Pretty" by Daya

This is my "girl power" song du jour.  I need a good song now and then to validate the choices I've made in my life.  This one's got a catchy beat, and the lyrics are just perfect for me:  Mr. Right could be nice, for one night /But then he wanna take control /And I would rather fly solo /Then Snow White /She did right in her life/ Had 7 men to do the chores/ 'Cause that's not what a lady's for .... You get off on your 9 to 5 /Dream of picket fences and trophy wives /But no I'm never gonna be, 'cause I don't wanna be /No I don't wanna sit still look pretty.


"Autograph" by Dallas Smith

I'm a Dallas Smith fan, so I just downloaded his whole new album the other day, and this so far is standing out as my favourite track.

"You've Got Her in Your Pocket" by Jack White

I saw Jack White perform a little medley of songs from his new acoustic compilation on Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago.  Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of the guy, but this one struck a chord with me.  And I think I far prefer Jack White going acoustic.

"Gold" by Kiiara

It's a big hit on the radio right now, and while it took me a while to warm up to it, I can now say, yeah, that's my jam!

"Easy to Tame" by Kim Mitchell

This is the "LOL" choice of the list, but ever since I heard him play this at the fair, I can't get it out of my head!  I wish he'd release the slowed-down version he played at the fair though.  I far prefer it to this zippy too-'80's-sounding version.

"I'm Not the Devil" by Cody Jinks

I think I could put every Cody Jinks song on this list, but I'll go with the one that turned me into a fan.  I just heard this song last weekend and fell in LOVE with it.  This guy's voice and sound...  He is SO awesome.  I've listened to the whole album steady all week!

"Let Me Love You" by DJ Snake ft. Justin Bieber

Bieber is coming in strong with another one on the list!  He and I have had our ups and downs over the years, but he's definitely winning me over again lately.  Love these collabs he's doing.

"Forever Country" by Artists of Then, Now & Forever

Oh!  Oh this was such a highlight of my week!!  The other day, everybody on my Facebook page was sharing the newly-released video for this, which is a mix of John Denver's "Country Roads", Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" and Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You".  And it just gives me chills.  Pretty much every big country artist for the past 25 years is featured in this song, and it works SO well.  I LOVE it.

"A Beautiful Thing" by The Tragically Hip

I said I wasn't over The Hip completely, didn't I?  This song didn't even make my "Favourite Hip Tunes of All Time" list back in August, but I really do think it has become one of my all-time faves.

"Head Over Boots" by Jon Pardi

OK, this isn't a "new" one, I actually fell in love with Jon Pardi way back in July.  But I took a big break from him when I was immersed in my Hip & Only Hip phase, so I've had fun getting back into his music again.  He has a lot of great tunes, but this one holds steady as my favourite!

"White Flag" by Joseph

Another one of those songs that I discovered thanks to Jimmy Fallon.  I had never heard of this group or this song until I heard them perform it on his show.  I just remembered to download it last week, and it's soooo good!

"Closer" by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey

This is another one that I had to warm up to, but I hear it almost every morning on the radio when I'm getting ready for work, and it's starting to stick with me.

So...what songs are on your playlists these days?  Share with me!  I always love finding new music!!

Have a great weekend, dudes!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll need to make a play list for our road trip!

Lindsay said...

I agree with Kerry! You're in charge of the tunes!

Nancy said...

Loved the country tunes! Oh,my goodness,where are you ladies off to on your road trip? Safe travels.

http://sweetcanadian.blogspot.com/ said...

Ok, I LOVE the compilation song. I love the song choices with it. It is no secret from my comments on your posts I am a country gal. So i counted how many of those artists I have seen in person (concerts). Out of the 25 I have seen 13. Isn't that crazy. LOL.

Head over boots makes me dance every time. I love it, but am getting a bit sick of it. I still crank it in my car, or dance in my house though. I don't know his other songs but that is a good barn dance song.