Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Rainy Tuesday Randoms

Oh, hello there, little blog.  It's been awhile.

As per usual, I had no intentions of taking an extended blog break, it just sort of...happened.  One minute, I was writing out a review of the Ed Sheeran concert in late July, and the next... sidetracked. Back-burnered. Saved for a later date.

And now, here we are. Heading into the "late August" category. Summer, it feels like we hardly knew ye.  Too much has happened in the past month to give a minute-by-minute re-cap, but here's some of the random thoughts and musings I've had since my last post on July 13th...

  • I mentioned Ed up there, and it feels to long ago to give an indepth review, but let's just say, he was awesome.  It was a whirlwind trip to Montreal to see him at the Bell Centre - there and back in less than 24 hours - but it was worth it in my books.  I regretted not seeing him the last time he was in Ottawa, and of course on this tour he didn't have an Ottawa stop, but Montreal isn't that far away.  Very happy I got to see him at least once live.  What that man can do with a mic, guitar, and a loop machine... simply amazing.
  • While Ed was fantastic, it still can't compare to the magic that was happening last summer as The Hip traveled across the country for one last tour on the news of lead singer Gord Downie's terminal brain cancer diagnosis.  The past few days, my Facebook memories from a year ago have all been Hip-related. God, what an emotional, intense, crazy time it was in my world.  Makes this summer feel lacklustre somehow.
  • I don't know why I have that feeling about this summer; like it somehow didn't live up, didn't compare, to last summer. I mean, the weather has been kind of crappy, but I've still managed to squeeze a lot of fun into the good days. I had an awesome week off for holidays, and so many other fun and happy summer moments.  I even managed to get a tan (somehow).  I don't know why I feel like this summer has passed me by too quickly, and with a sense that we've been jipped for some reason...
  • Perhaps it's the sadness. Because, despite all the high points, good moments, fun memories, there has, indeed, been sadness, too.  Two weeks ago on Saturday, I had probably one of the most blue days I've had in a long time.  First, I awoke with a splitting headache, which I wasn't used to because I haven't had bad headaches in quite awhile.  Then, late morning, my phone buzzed with a notification from the TSN app I follow with the news that former Sens GM and the pride of Shawville, Bryan Murray, had passed away after a hard-fought battle with cancer.  Add to that, I kind of fell into the dark abyss of following the terrifying events that unfolded in Charlottesville that day, with Nazis and white supremacists marching in the streets... still sends a shiver down my spine.  It was a blue day.
  • One of my favourite things about the past few weeks, though, has been watching fun TV again!  As happened the first time, when I finished Prison Break the second time around, I felt so empty and convinced I'd never find a show to replace it.  I decided to move on to Colony, because it starred Sarah Wayne Callies, aka Sara Tancredi-Scofield from Prison Break.  At first, I thought I was going to love the show, but it strayed too far into sci-fi territory for my liking, and I had a hard time getting through it.  But it did the job:  it got me over Michael and Prison Break again. By the time I was done it, I was eager to move on to something else.  There were lots of shows I've watched that had new episodes that I could have jumped in to: Scandal, Suits, The Mindy Project, Bloodline... but none of them were grabbing me. (in fact, I watched one episode of Scandal and was so turned off by Fitz, whom I used to love, that it astonished me.)  I decided to go with Riverdale, and I was so glad I did.  SO much fun!  I was a big Archie comic fan as a kid, so it was a treat to see the characters brought to life, and follow the darker storyline than I ever would have read in my colourful pages as a kid.  I blew through Riverdale in less than a week.  Then last week, on the recommendation of several friends, I started Shameless.  I'm only in the early stages of Season 1, but it has definitely grabbed my attention.  Loving it too!
  • I'm disappointed that summer is winding down - it always makes me feel a little sick when back-to-school time comes around - but at the same time, I'm also kind of excited for fall.  My favourite time of year is upon us.  Cool, crisp air, crunchy leaves, pumpkin spice, cozy days in the kitchen making soup or baking, scary movies, warm clothes... mmmm... I love fall!  Add to it that we have our girls trip to Nova Scotia to look forward to at the end of September, and it almost makes me want to kick summer out the door for good.
Well, I think that's all I have for today.  Going to try hard to get back in the blogging groove again.  Hopefully see you again soon!

No comments: