Thursday, November 16, 2017

Random Thursday Things


  • I actually started writing a completely different blog post this morning.  I was having a bit of a vent session because I felt a little bombarded yesterday - I was getting emails from all directions with a variety of requests and questions.  When things come firing at me all at once like that, I tend to get overwhelmed and stressed out.  But if I write a whole post about it, what good am I doing?  Just feeding the beast, right?  Today is a new day!  I deleted my whole "woe is me" post and decided to move on and let it go.
  • So, last night I kind of finished decorating.  I say "kind of" because there are a few little touches left to do - I want to add my orange slices to the dining room tree, but I didn't have any oranges last night to make them.  I also need to cut out snowflakes for the glass panels of my door.  And last but not  least, I need to put the garland on the banister, but I need an extra set of hands to help with that one.  Otherwise, I'm done, and it feels good!
  • You know what does NOT feel good?  I can't find my Christmas CD's anywhere.  I searched high and low.  They are always sitting in the corner of the dining room with my CD player.  ALWAYS.  And now, suddenly, they are gone. It's as if a weird thief broke in, combed every inch of my home, and took only the small stack of Christmas albums.  *sigh*  I know this does not seem like a big deal, but I am lost without my Justin Bieber, Blake Shelton, Elvis Presley, and Wayne Ronstadt Christmas CD's.  Decorating last night just felt wrong without them.
  • I'm a little ridiculously excited about going to Bulk Barn tomorrow after work.  I've come a long way from the first time I tried to buy stuff at Bulk Barn.  I still have a little anxiety over worrying that I'm buying too little or too much - I'm really not good at the "eyeballing" thing! - but the savings in buying it this way is worth that anxiety.  
  • I'm a little disappointed that the chip wagon in town closed earlier this week.  I had been planning on having one last snack this coming weekend.  Now I guess I'll just have to dream about that poutine all winter long... *sigh*
  • I'm very excited to get my bake on next week.  Now that the decorating part is done, I am excited to start checking things off the baking list!  I'm taking part in a Cookie Exchange on December 1st, so there's no time to waste.  
  • One of the things on my Christmas Bucket List is:  "Make Grandma's Iced Sugar Cookies with Mom".  My Grandma made the best iced sugar cookies in the world, and now Mom makes them to keep the tradition alive.  However, I know Mom finds them a pain in the butt to make, and only does them because she knows how much I love them.  I have never learned how to make them, so I think it's about time I learn!  I'm hoping to make a date with her for a lesson, maybe December 9-10 weekend.  I think every weekend is completely booked prior to that...
  • I'm not gonna lie, I'm starting to get very excited for Christmas get-togethers!  This year, I think I'm getting wound up about it extra-early because of this one I'm going to on Saturday night.  Usually the MVT Christmas Party is my first of the season (always the last weekend of November), but not this year!  It makes me feel like I can bust out the hollying & jollying even earlier!!  Woo Hoo!!!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

We are getting our Christmas decorating on this weekend.

Last night when we drove by your house, Maddy said "Jilly has her tree up" and I was like "could you see it? was her blinds open" and she was like "no but I could see the outline"! This weekend are you going to let everyone know you have your tree up? Driving around town this morning, people def have their Christmas lights turned on already!!

Sucks about Christmas CD's...let me know if you want me to burn you some...I have been burning and listening to Christmas songs all week.

Nicole said...

I'm so glad someone else loves Christmas as much as I do. In the U.S. it's Taboo to put your tree up before Thanksgiving... but I don't give a sh*t. I do it 1) because I love it and 2) to make sure Tori is involved, although this year she could help the first weekend of December, but why wait that long! So this weekend it is. I think your festive mood just makes me more giddy and excited. And of course, I shared that one blog post with you. I truly agree with what that lady says :). Who cares what others think. So tell me the story of the orange slices, please. I like to learn.

Rev. Nancy said...

I think it would be a very fitting tradition to bake your grandmother's cookies with your Mom. I remember visiting at your Mom's place when they were making cookies. I thought your Grandmother was so beautiful. Take pictures with you doing that.