Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Wishlist: 2017

How are we all doing with the Christmas shopping?  Are you feeling good about it?  Are you done?  I have to say, I felt like I was really on the ball this year.  I started my shopping in early November, and basically finished on Black Friday.  I took a day off work last week to complete a few odds and ends and stocking stuffers, things I couldn't get on-line, and with that I was completely, totally FINISHED.  Man, it felt good.  I'm so looking forward to setting up my little elfie workshop on Saturday, putting a Christmas movie on, pouring some rum & egg nog, and getting my wrapping done!!

So, as I prepare myself to wrap on Saturday, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to share my Christmas Wishlist this year!!  Confession:  I was almost, almost tempted to suggest no gifts this year.  Just buy for the kids.  I have a feeling my family would have jumped at it, but there's still that little smidge of kid left in me, and I just couldn't get my head around not having anything to open on Christmas morning.  I'm getting close, though... maybe, just maybe, I'm almost grown up??

Here's the usual disclaimer:  Gifts are not important.  What IS important is the love and time spent with family and friends during the holiday season.  I do not expect to receive everything on my list, I just put it together for fun as little "wants" cross my mind.  Once again, I'm extremely grateful that as I get older, my list is made up more and more of just simple "wants" rather than "needs".  I am fortunate and blessed.

But a girl still needs a few ribbons and bows beneath the tree, am I right?!?  So here it is, without further ado... My 2017 Wishlist:

A Mark Stone Sens T-shirt

I made my Wishlist before the Sens went into the crapper.  *sigh*  It's been a rough couple of weeks to be a Sens fan.  BUT...Mark Stone still rocks my world, and I'd proudly wear his name and number on my back!!

Gord Downie's "Secret Path" Album



It's no secret that I was deeply saddened by the loss of The Tragically Hip's frontman, Gord Downie, this past fall.  I've been a huge fan of Gord's music since my early teen years.  I have made an effort to purchase all of The Hip's work that has been produced to date, but I have yet to buy Gord's "Secret Path" project, which became his driving life force in his final months.  Despite battling terminal brain cancer, Gord Downie put his heart and soul into helping the Canadian Indigenous people who have suffered mightily, and told the story of Chanie Wenjack, a young boy who died trying to escape from a Residential School  in the 1960's.  I watched Gord's live performance of the songs, as it was televised several days after his death, and found the music and lyrics to be gut-wrenching and beautiful.  My favourite track is "Son".  I'd love to be able to sit down and immerse myself in the album at home.

SweetLegs Leggings

I don't know how it happened, but I have become a leggings girl.  I own multiple pairs and from different stores and brands, but so far, SweetLegs are by far my favourite.  I love them so much, I almost became a rep for the company this past fall.  A new pair would never go to waste in my closet!!

A long, black tunic-style sweater to wear with leggings

For a girl who owns as many leggings as I do, it's kind of a key wardrobe component that I am missing.  Here's hoping Santa can find me one that will suit my style!!

Book Club books for 2018

Our book club selections have been made for 2018, and as usual, I'm hoping to get one or two for Christmas!  This year's books that I need are:
Christine by Stephen King
They Called Me Number One by Bev Sellars
The Child Finder by Rene Denfield
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

iTunes Gift Cards

I'm not a big fan of gift cards for Christmas, but since I rarely buy CD's anymore, an iTunes gift card definitely comes in handy!  I've been holding off on downloading Taylor Swift's new album, so if I got a gift card for Christmas, I know what I would put it towards!

A Nutcracker decoration

This has become the new "breadmaker" on my list.  Every year, I wish for a Nutcracker - because I swear, it's the only Christmas decoration I do not have!!  The problem is, I'd like a fairly big, substantial Nutcracker - one that can stand int he corner of the room or beside the tree - and they are pricey, usually way over our spending cap.  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one on sale after Christmas, though!

A Salad Spinner

Ugh.  I hate salad, you guys.  But part of the reason why I hate salad is that I hate making salad.  And washing the lettuce is such a pain in the ass job!  Would I enjoy salads more if I had a spinner that made washing the lettuce easier?  I don't know.  Maybe.

An Instant Pot

My family is going to read this and say, "Huh?  What?  She did not have this on her list!!"  But it's a new addition.  And honestly, I'm torn on it.  I have friends who swear by them and say they are miracle machines.  And I do think there's a huge advantage to having one, in that I always forget to take stuff out of the freezer in the morning to defrost.  They tell me an Instant Pot works wonders on frozen food in a short amount of time.  But. BUT!  I'm single.  I have no one else to feed.  I never use my slow cooker.  It's yet another kitchen appliance to find a place for.  (Literally, my breadmaker is sitting on the floor in the corner.  I use it - LOTS - but I have no place to store it.)  How often would I actually make use of it?  I just don't know...

Socks

And while any old socks would do, I especially have had my eye on those ones with funny messages on the soles of them.  I think they're so cute.

PJ's

Who couldn't use a new pair of jammies?

A slotted metal spoon

One of those stupid little kitchen things that you never think of until you need one...

A panda mug that changes colours when you pour hot water into it

I'm a sucker for mugs.  Do I need more mugs?  No.  I don't have room in my cupboards for the mugs I have.  But I've been in love with this one ever since I heard about it.  Please, Santa??  Please????

An electric hand mixer

I have a hand mixer, one that works quite well in fact, but my beaters are in bad shape.  They're kind of starting to rust.  Might be time to get myself a new one...

A  board game, something like Clue

I know.  I hate games.  Why would I ask for a game?  Well, it has dawned on me that I have, like, ZERO games.  And I keep thinking it might be fun to organize a game night this winter with friends, or have some at my place if the kids are ever over visiting.  I have fond memories of playing Clue as a kid, so that's the one that came to mind.  I think it would be fun to introduce to Caden and Danica over the holiday season, as I'm hoping to have them for a sleepover at some point.

Gift cards for the movie theatre

Another thing I'm hoping to do over the holidays is go to the MOVIES!!!  God, I love going to the movies.  I'd love to take the kids to see Ferdinand, and I'm also dying to see Pitch Perfect 3 or The Greatest Showman.  Gift cards to the movies are never a bad gift when it comes to me!!

Well, I think that's it.  And that's quite long enough.  I'd be thrilled if I even just got one or two things off this list.  It's all fun stuff (except for maybe the salad spinner, but hey, I know one of those 2018 resolutions will be to lose weight, and what better way to do that than with salad?  BLAH.)

What's on YOUR 2017 Wishlist??

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Instant pot is on my wish list too!!! I wanted to get it on Black Friday but I was so busy at work I missed out *cry*. Even though I only cook for 2 people, I think it will be ideal to make a roast or chicken or any meat that will last a few days for supper and lunches! There are so many You Tubes Videos, I think I have watched them all HAHA. You can literally cook anything. So. Many. Ideas. I'm hoping it helps me get back in the grove of preparing meals ahead and eating healthy again.

ShannonJMc27 said...

I bought a friend of mine that Panda mug and she loves it lol the unicorn one is so cute too!

Rev. Nancy said...

I bought myself and my kids Instantpots on Amazon Prime. They were supposed to be for Christmas, but I caved, and gave them to the twins for their birthday, and then Livvie wanted hers, lol. We love them so much, we had to take one to the cottage we rented. I like mine for making soup, and for really healthy, delicious meals when its water aerobics night. Instead of throwing on chicken shake and bake, I'll make chicken with veggies, and rice, or something with no salt, like in the coating for shake and bake. I love mine. Salad spinner is a great idea too.

VandyJ said...

I haven't come around the Instapot cult yet. I see them pop up on Facebook all the time. I think I want a new bread machine first.

And everyone loves opening something up on Christmas morning, no matter how "grown up" one claims to be.

Nicole said...

Thoughts on the jersey... die hard or go home :). I'm a Chiefs fan. We started out the season rocking it and then quickly went into the pooper. We're now coming back and almost leading the AFC West, but win or lose, still a Chiefs Fan :)