Thursday, January 04, 2018

Setting Intentions, Being Grateful

I woke up with a headache this morning.  And my first reaction was to groan, and say, "Seriously, Universe?  Can you let up for just ONE. FRIGGING. DAY?!?!"

Despite a really wonderful holiday season, I've been bogged down and clouded over with worry and frustration in recent weeks, mainly due to the increasingly annoying heart palpitations that just won't quit, and then getting probably the worst cold I've had in years at the tail end of 2017.  Yesterday, I felt like the cold was on its way out and I was relieved.  So to wake up with a headache this morning was an unwelcome step backwards.  And I was pissed.

I lay in bed feeling sorry for myself for a few minutes, and then I gave my (sore) head a shake.  Seriously, Jillian.  You are getting way too "woe is me" over nothing!!  Get a grip!!

And it's so true.  I've been letting these little health issues (which, as far as I know, aren't very serious) drag me down and ruin my day lately, and I don't want to be that kind of person.  I don't want to wallow in despair over things I have no control over, and really, at the end of the day, aren't a big deal.

On New Year's Eve, I heard the story of a girl who was in a tragic car accident in our Municipality.  The accident happened on Christmas Eve, on one of the back roads, as she made her way from her mother's place in Luskville to visit friends in the city.  She lost control of her vehicle and hit a hydro pole, and when she tried to get out of her car, she was electrocuted by live wires.  She spent hours alone in the cold waiting for someone to find her and get help.  She has since had surgery to remove all four of her limbs.

She survived.  She has a long road ahead of her, yet still... she survived.

I don't know this girl, but she's been on my mind.  When faced with this perilous situation, she fought hard.  She showed incredible strength and courage, and a will to live. 

Sure makes my little problems pale in comparison, doesn't it? 

Yesterday, I read a blog post by one of my favourite bloggers, The Daily Tay, where she listed "18 Things to Focus on in 2018".  I was inspired by her post, and her list of self-improvement techniques, teachings, and mantras.  It was kind of just exactly what I needed to read, to help dig myself out of this little hole I've been burrowing myself into.  I also read some posts on a message board on a health website from people who suffer from heart palpitations who encourage others to not let them become the focus of their day; to try to carry on as you normally would and not let them control you.

It was all good stuff that I needed to read.  Valuable reminders that my life is great, that I am a lucky girl, and that I have the power to create my own happiness.  Start with gratitude.  Set intentions.  Feel joy.  Send good vibrations out into the Universe and you'll get back what you give. Be gracious and mindful.  Stop making excuses.  Believe that the Universe is on your side.

Last night, I went for a walk as snow gently fell, and I took deep breaths and inhaled the fresh, crisp winter air.  Then I went home and spent a few quiet moments with the Daily Devotional book I received as a gift from a friend, quietly reading and reflecting.  I turned off the TV, I sat on my couch, I did my ever-loving best to ignore the stutter-stepping going on in my chest, and I just breathed, and read, and thought.   It's a practice I hope to instill on a daily basis.

There are some things in life we cannot control.  Accidents can happen, illness will hit, and strange things will unexpectedly try to set us off-kilter.  I want to be prepared for them. I want to be strong in mind and soul.  I want to be positive and hopeful and determined.  I want to fight for the life I deserve.

So here's to making 2018 a good year.  The first few days have been less than stellar, but I'm ready to turn this ship around.  Headache be gone.   I'm ready to send some good vibes out into the Universe, and feel grateful for all the good things in my life, of which there are many.

Who's with me?

4 comments:

Rev. Nancy said...

Very profound. I'm in.

Nicole said...

Makes you think huh?

Debbie Johnston said...

So true Jill. I stop sometimes and think how lucky I am even though I don"t hve alot I have my health and my family. I was really upset also about that girl to that was in that accident , we stop to think how lucky we are I am glad thatshe is doing alot better but still think of her. All the best in the New Year xo

Mrs. Match said...

I'm sorry the first few days of your new year were less than stellar, but I like your attitude. I hope you feel better soon!